Wednesday 25 November 2015

Many gifts, one spirit

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation, with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12-13 ESV)

Since becoming a Christ follower, I have come to understand many important things (too many to list here). First of all, God will give me the desire and the power to do what pleases Him – I need only take a step of obedience. Secondly, I can expect God to use me to serve His people and He can empower me with any gift or ministry He chooses (1 Corinthians 12: 4-6).

As stated in Ephesians 4:1-6 I firmly believe that as a believer I am to “walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which I have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”

I have a gracious and giving heart, a heart of compassion for all of God’s people – and a burning passion to exhort His people to unity based on the truths and promises of His word and the work of salvation. I have a desire for Godly peace - a state of reconciliation and love which acts as a bond to unite people. My heart longs for restoration of relationships in which the love bond has been broken due to hurts, habits, addictions, suppressed emotions and pain. (mother – child, father- child, sister-sister, spouses, abuser-abused, oppressed- oppressor) Based on my own personal experience, I know this is possible because as I sought to forgive my oppressors and allowed God to reveal to me my authentic self he strengthened my faith and my ability to put on love above all else, which binds us all together in perfect unity (Colossians 3:14).

God has confirmed that this is my passion in two ways; first of all, He has allowed me to experience many relationships in which the love bond has been broken and then restored so that I may testify to his eternal hope in all things. Secondly, He has empowered me to intercede for others in similar circumstances and equipped me to minister to them, through his truths, promises and Word, at a heart level. My personality type has largely contributed to my hunger for his truth and ability to press forward and persevere despite challenging circumstances and relationships (as in Phil 3:13-14 where Paul encourages us to focus on what lies ahead instead of behind and press on to receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ is calling us).

I have taken a spiritual gifts inventory on a number of occasions, this combined with my life experiences leads me to believe that my strength lies in the impartation of the Word to others. I can communicate in such a way that others learn, that insight/revelation is gleaned, that clarity informs choice and that words of comfort, consolation, encouragement and counsel are ministered. In essence, God is empowering me to grow in teaching, wisdom, knowledge and exhortation. Furthermore, He has empowered me with the gift of administration and service. I do this all for God’s glory and by his grace, he is surrounding me with people who will walk alongside of me and by their leadership and authority help me to discern God’s purpose and plan for each gift. My motivation for teaching, counselling and administration is LOVE & SERVICE to God and His people. Out of this love comes hope, healing, equipping, restoring and reconciliation.

This has been and continues to be accomplished by cultivating what God has created (people, peace, joy, mercy etc.), following the path paved with love and transforming lives by connecting people to God’s love, heart and Word. My calling is to LOVE (Lead Others to Victory through Encouragement, Edification and Exhortation) on all of God’s people. I also have a heart for unity across gender and generation – part of my purpose is to see men and women, young and old working together for God’s Kingdom through partnerships and prayer covering rather than independently doing their own thing and missing opportunities to operate as one body in Christ.

I am trusting God knowing that as I delight in him he will give me the desires of my heart -  a desire that, as I understand it today, is to minister to the oppressed making them whole and equipping them to step into the plans and the purpose God has designed uniquely for them. After all, this is what God and others have done for me – now it is simply my turn to pay it forward!

Prayer

Start expecting God to use you to heal, outfit, restore, and train others in the church, serving the city. Ask Him to conform you to His will.





No comments:

Post a Comment