Sunday 13 August 2017

Guard your heart! Live beyond your feelings!

Image result for images for live beyond your feelings 

Much of the insight and wisdom that I gained about managing my emotions to guard my heart, I learned from God and his word, the counsel of others who have lived it and a well known minister, Joyce Meyer (click on link below for her article on fickle feelings or check out CDs Managing your emotions or book Living Beyond your Feelings all great resources that helped me overcome bondage to my emotions).

My feelings are real and they are powerful. So powerful that at times, they have run my life for months at a time - seriously! There was a season in my life when anger consumed me; as the result of one circumstance, I spent months in anger, retelling, reliving and trying to figure out and control a different outcome. As a result I was more than drained; I was exhausted and exhausting my relationships - I would like to say that with a simple prayer all that changed - however, it did not. What it took was dying to self, allowing my feelings to ebb and flow without getting on board. With time, awareness and intentional practice months became weeks, weeks became days, days became hours and hours became minutes of anger because I refused to let my feelings control me and chose to do what was right no matter how I felt. It took 5 years to get from months of anger to minutes of anger, it took recognizing that the more I talked about bad circumstances, the more the feelings intensified, it took changing my mindset from that of victim to victor, it took focused effort and perseverance to fight the same battle and finally win it!

I have yet to discover a step-by-step formula to constantly live in peace and joy however I have learned that one of the best ways to guard my heart is to be led by the Spirit - by getting connected to God through seeking Him and His presence I can more easily experience peace. Only when I express fear instead of faith do I waver and get blown and tossed by my feelings.

https://www.charismamag.com/blogs/straight-talk/15510-fickle-feelings

No comments:

Post a Comment