Tuesday 8 August 2017

Guard your heart! Renew your mind!

Image result for images of neurons in the brain

Time and time again, I have experienced how my thoughts have become my attitudes and subsequently my actions.  With a great deal of frustration I tried to figure out how to re-wire my thoughts to achieve a different outcome – a change of attitude. Instead, my mind was wound up tighter than a spool of thread. Despite praying the truth of God’s word and asserting his promises for my (thought) life, I struggled to renew my mind and transformation from fear, anxiety and worry was impossible. I was bound by these thoughts – a captive of my own mind!

The first sign of freedom came when I stopped trying to control my thoughts. Rather than exerting myself in resisting my thoughts and their outcomes I chose to surrender to the renewing of my mind. By letting God transform me into a new person by changing the way I think. Then I learned to know God’s will for me, which is good and pleasing and perfect. (Romans 12:2)

Instead of seeing an overwhelming tangled spool of thoughts I began to visualize a stop sign when an unwelcome thought entered my mind. With practice and meditation, I could actively and consciously take captive undesired thoughts and redirect and renew them by praising God and thanking him for his good, pleasing and perfect will for my life. In as much as we can have over 67,000 thoughts per day, we cannot entertain two thoughts simultaneously therefore as I surrender to the renewing of my mind, I choose to pray God’s truth and assert His promises giving my mind a S.P.A. (Surrender-Pray-Assert) experience!

A surrendered heart is a satisfied mind and a satisfied mind is a surrendered heart! At last I am no longer bound. I am free!

No comments:

Post a Comment